Thursday, November 11, 2010

Weekend - Sports


Hey it's me,

So it seems like in the past 4 weeks or so good music releases have been few and far between, since Gold Panda's album was released I haven't seen one album come out which I actually enjoyed, consequently I've had to go back in time to find new music to listen to. Luckily I stumbled across/really enjoyed Jay Reatard's (RIP) really early Lo-Fi albums under "The Reatards" like "Teenage Hate", which was teriffic and if you like Punk music you should really check that out. But this blog is dedicated to new music, meaning music that has been released recently.

Well it's November and my Autumn 2011 playlist has been looking really, really bleak, with little new music to put into it, and a lot of recycled music from last fall. Thankfully, Weekend's new album "Sports" was really good. I really dug the heavy use of reverb on the vocals, and when I mean heavy, I mean heavy. The lyrics are barely decipherable under it, and it just sounds like a stream of lucid, swirly sound, in a good way of course. The guitars and drums are very reminiscent of Sonic Youth's albums Daydream Nation and Goo, sounding rather similar with distorted, somewhat simple guitar which is catchy but not overly melodic, and basic but effective drumming.

But that's also sort of what I disliked about this album, aside from the vocals nothing really struck me as original, however it's still a tried and true sound and I'm A-okay with that.

Finally, something good for my (our) fall playlist(s)!

My favourite tracks: End Times, Coma Summer, Monogah

7.5/10

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment